Everything You Need To Know About Colon Hydrotherapy
Authors: Celeste Magnuson and Betsy Exton
About Us… Our passion is providing factual, scientific and anecdotal information supporting the use of colon hydrotherapy in order to assist others in achieving optimal health and well-being. Many search for information related to cleansing and detoxification and find conflicting reports and misinformation. Often the authors of these articles have never even experienced a colon hydrotherapy session and are referring to other cleansing modalities such as herbal, pharmaceutical and fasting methods.
As master level colon hydrotherapists, with many years of practical experience and over 10,000 client sessions, we have first-hand knowledge of the miraculous benefits of gentle cleansing with water. Some of the benefits we have witnessed include elimination of acne and other skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis, increased mental clarity, elimination of constipation, pain relief, and many, many more. The information we provide in this publication is here to assist you in making informed decisions regarding cleansing and detoxification.
I-ACT Advanced Level Colon Hydrotherapist
Owner of Colon Hydration
Greenville, South Carolina
I-ACT Instructor Level Colon Hydrotherapist
Owner of Living Arts Wellness
Fort Collins, Colorado
What is Colon Hydrotherapy?
Colon hydrotherapy, often referred to as a colonic, is an infusion of pure, body temperature water through disposable tubing into the colon via the rectum.
There are two basic types of FDA approved colon hydrotherapy instruments… closed and open. In the open system, waste is eliminated into a basin underneath the client, and in the closed system, elimination takes place through tubing, allowing for no odor or mess during the session.
This method of colon cleansing via the gentle infusion of water has been in use for thousands of years. The earliest known documentation of colon lavage is an ancient Egyptian medical record dating back to around 1500 B.C.
In more recent history, doctors often recommended enemas to treat colds, flu, fever and other common ailments. The overuse and abuse of pharmaceuticals aided in the decline of doctor recommended enemas. The colonic is a more extensive version of colon lavage and may allow water to be introduced much deeper into the large intestine… possibly loosening, dislodging, and removing impacted fecal matter, gas, pathogens, and parasites.
Today, colon hydrotherapy is a widely accepted treatment used by many to relieve common ailments, such as constipation. Many find this to be a powerful tool in their treatment of cancer, autoimmune dysfunction and autointoxication (self-poisoning through improper elimination resulting in the storage of toxins in the colon… these toxins may then reabsorbed into the bloodstream). Many report that through detoxification, it aids in the prevention of degenerative disease.
Some Reasons People Choose Colon Hydrotherapy…
- Athletes receive colonics for optimum metabolic function
- Colonics are often used in conjunction with lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, fasts, spiritual awakening)
- Many that seek treatment have different levels of digestive dis-ease, including constipation, indigestion, gas, bloating, parasite infections, and adhesions from past surgeries.
- Others come in reporting chronic and acute pain issues including headaches, back pain, arthritis (joint pain), and abdominal distress.
- Many of our clients have immune system dysfunction such as rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, Hashimoto’s Syndrome, etc.
- Colonics are often recommended by physicians for pre-surgical cleansing or before diagnostic testing (colonoscopies)
- Geriatric clients come to relieve constipation due to inactivity and dehydration
- We often see clients that are undertaking liver/gallbladder flushes.
- Emotional issues may be rooted in the digestive tract
What Might Colonics Do For Your Colon and Other Organs?
- Cleansing…The introduction of water into the colon breaks down fecal matter allowing it to be eliminated along with accumulated toxins, parasites, etc. Waste that remains in the colon for extended periods tends to be reabsorbed into the bloodstream putting a burden on the liver and other organs or detoxification.
- Increased Muscle Tone… The alimentary tract is a muscular tube that extends from the mouth to the anus. This muscle can become atonic or weak and may result in constipation and/or hemorrhoids due to straining with defecation. The gentle filling and emptying of the colon during colon hydrotherapy sessions may increase tone and peristalsis (the movement of waste through the colon).
- Normalization of Colon Shape…Impacted fecal matter and weakened muscle and tissue in the colon can result in bulges, spastic issues, and constricted areas. The gentle filling with water bathes and massages the cells. This may increase circulation in the tissues and assist with eliminating irregular shaped areas in the colon.
- Hydration and Relaxation… Most colon therapists are trained in massage and various techniques to help you help ease you into a state of complete relaxation during your cleansing session. Once the parasympathetic nervous system is activated (necessary for rest and digestion), complete release becomes possible. Some of the water infused into the colon is absorbed directly into the bloodstream, which may aid in eliminating toxins through the skin, kidneys, and bowels.
Other Possible Benefits of Colon Hydrotherapy…
- Decompression of Organs… Full intestines may crowd the surrounding organs (liver, heart, and lungs). Many report feeling complete or light after a session.
- Elimination of Constipation… An increase in peristaltic action due to strengthened muscle in the colon may result in the reduction or elimination of bowel movement problems (constipation and diarrhea).
- An Overall Feeling of Well-being…After colonic sessions, clients often report a feeling of well-being, reduced anxiety, and mental clarity. Just imagine how good your body and mind might feel after the elimination of a toxic load.
- Elimination of Parasites…Parasites can exist anywhere in the body (bloodstream, joints, colon, heart, brain, etc.). Colonics may take a burden off of the liver, enhance the lymphatic system and increase immune function, which assists in the elimination of parasites.
- Weight Reduction… Once elimination is enhanced, the metabolic processes may be enhanced. And the simple elimination of accumulated waste can result in weight loss and rejuvenation!
This tubing is factory sanitized and sealed and is never re-used. The speculum, a small short tube, lubricated with organic oil, such as castor, is gently inserted into the rectum. Two tubes are attached to the speculum. A smaller tube that introduces purified water into the colon and the larger for evacuating water, gas and fecal matter through the instrument and directly into the sewer. This is a closed system in that all matter is moved through tubing resulting in no mess or odor during your session.