What is Colon Hydrotherapy or Colonic?
Colon hydrotherapy, often referred to as colonic, or colon irrigation is an infusion of pure, body temperature water through disposable tubing into the colon via the rectum.
There are two basic types of FDA approved colon hydrotherapy systems… closed and open. In the open system, waste is eliminated into a basin underneath the client, and in the closed system, elimination takes place through tubing, allowing for no odor or mess during the session.
This method of colon cleansing via the gentle infusion of water has been in use for thousands of years. The earliest known documentation of colon lavage is an ancient Egyptian medical record dating back to around 1500 B.C.
In more recent history, doctors often recommended enemas to treat colds, flu, fever and other common ailments. The overuse and abuse of pharmaceuticals aided in the decline of doctor recommended enemas. The colonic is a more extensive version of colon lavage and may allow water to be introduced much deeper into the large intestine… possibly loosening, dislodging, and removing impacted fecal matter, gas, pathogens, and parasites.
Today, colon hydrotherapy is a widely accepted treatment used by many to relieve common ailments, such as constipation. Many find this to be a powerful tool in their treatment of cancer, autoimmune dysfunction and autointoxication (self-poisoning through improper elimination resulting in the storage of toxins in the colon… these toxins may then reabsorbed into the blood stream). Many report that through detoxification, it aids in the prevention of degenerative dis-ease.
Some Reasons People Choose Colonic or Colon Hydrotherapy?…
- Athletes receive colonics for optimum metabolic function
- Colonic is often used in conjunction with lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, fasts, spiritual awakening)
- Many that seek treatment have different levels of digestive dis-ease, including constipation, indigestion, gas, bloating, parasite infections, and adhesions from past surgeries.
- Others come in reporting chronic and acute pain issues including headaches, back pain, arthritis (joint pain), and abdominal distress.
- Many of our clients have immune system dysfunction such as rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, Hashimoto’s Disease, etc.
- Colonic is often recommended by physicians for pre-surgical cleansing or before diagnostic testing (colonoscopies)
- Geriatric clients come to relieve constipation due to inactivity and dehydration
- We often see clients that are undertaking liver/gallbladder flushes.
- Emotional issues may be rooted in the digestive tract